Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote        
So, I have quite a few animals at the moment. 2 Dogs, 2 Cats, 6 Acanthurus Monitor Lizards, 1 Savannah Monitor Lizard, 3 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantulas, and 1 Dumerils Ground Boa.

What I mostly want to focus on are reptiles and the people that love them. I feel like there is a lot of love for furry critters, but not enough for the scaly ones. So, who out there also have reptilian pets and what sorts do you have?

You can feel free to list other types of animals you have, as I did, but the main focus of the conversation should be the reptiles themselves.

Now, one thing that always seems so strange is just how varied our lizards personalities seem to be just among the Ackies (Acanthurus Monitors). We have one that is completely and totally chill, while the others vary in spasticness when we have to take them out for a soak or clean their cages, or even feed them. The younger ones literally leap up towards the tube when we go to feed them crickets while the older ones take several minutes to an hour before they will eat.

The Savannah is a biter. We found that out when he crouched down and then LEAPT up to bite my finger. He and I are both lucky. I'm lucky that he only took a small amount of skin off my finger, and he's lucky that he didn't get more injured when he landed on the floor. He also seems to prefer that we not be able to see him while he's basking, and he burrows a lot to avoid our notice. It's really odd.

The Boa is the calmest creature we have in the house. He likes to try to adventure when we take him out of his cage, but he's never made an aggressive move, nor has he acted like he was afraid. I don't think snakes can act afraid, but that's besides the point. >.>

So, what are your little scaly friends like?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote        
I, personally, love animals of all types. We currently have five cats and numerous fish in our garden. I've been wanting a reptilian pet for a long time now, but my stepfather's opposed to them, and we don't really have a space to put it. So I'll wait until I've got my own house before I get some sort of lizard or snake. I imagine they're a bit costly, equipment included.

Have you ever had other types of lizards/snakes as pets?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote        
Yes, we have had a Blood Python, and a couple of Leopard Geckos. My husbands father also have a python and a boa, but I'm not certain what type they are.

I love animals as well, but I fell in love with the reptiles when I met my husband. I always liked to hold snakes, but I never imagined I would have one as a pet.

The expense of the pet really depends entirely on what sort you get. Out Ackies are going to be very expensive in the end. We have two trios and they are going to get about 3 feet long so, even though we have them in two cages now, we are going to have to build something bigger with a deeper substrate that will allow them to burrow more and lay eggs.

Ackies are about 300 a piece, so they are a bit pricey. It just really depends on what you go for.