Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Therius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote        
Ages ago, I drew. Ages ago, I drew decently well, and enjoyed doing such; these days, I seem to have forgotten, and no matter how hard I try, I can't find where to put the neck, I can't remember how to line up the eyes, I can't, I can't, I can't.

Are there any suggestions? Ways I can get back into it, or should i just start from scratch again and work my way up to where I was, or further?
Should I invest, again, in a tablet? Or try and get a sketchbook and re-learn to sketch on paper?
Maeve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote        
Practice, maybe?
I mean, if you already know those things, but have forgotten them because you didn't use them for a while, they are still there somewhere. So, if you just keep drawing again and again, they will probably come back, or at least they will come to you more quickly than to someone who has never learned them. So it's not really "starting from scratch", though reviewing the basic things could probably help you.

As for investing in a tablet or sketchbook, I would say go with what you prefer. Of course, a sketchbook and pencil are probably way cheaper than a tablet, unless you want to buy some really fancy sketchbook... And since sketching is pretty much always the same no matter what you use to sketch, I'd go with the sketchbook. But that's just me ^^

dreamer676

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote        
really I don't think it matters what paper you use, but I would suggest just sketching anywhere and everywhere, like on a newspaper while you're on the train or on an envelope in the morining, anything that's blank and will take either a biro or a pencil, draw on it. Whether it's a person or a few circles and whatnot. I think that would help you get the feel for it again, however I would suggest a sketchbook for proper sit down and draw things, such as observational's or experiments, but yeah that could be done on a computer if you wish.

As for getting your skills back quickly I would suggest taking a look at a few tutorials over at drawspace.com. Like you mentioned they will probably be things that you already know but they may help you regain what you have forgetton a bit quicker. The forums there also host weekly challenges which would help a whole bunch as well.

Hope that's helpful Happy

Art done by Crow Happy
Skunkoon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote        
That's so sad! D: I would hate to lose "my touch" for art ^^

Me, I don't have a tablet and I seem to be doing just fine when it comes to computer art. I would suggest getting a sketch book with a lot of papers, paper that has non smearing (although it depends on your work. It drives me crazy when I'm drawing XD) and that is the right size to comfortably in a backpack or something. If you can take it around with you can always draw when you have a few minutes of free time.

I agree with Maeve and Dreamer676. Try going on sites for art tutorials. And I really agree when Dreamer676 suggested that you should draw everywhere. It's good to want to get motivated again with simple things.

Keep trying! Drawing is really a rewarding skill! Happy
Vesper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote        
Definitely practice, on tablet or on sketch paper.
Since you knew how to draw before, you couldn't have just... forgotten, right? xD

You can look up tutorials or even just reference pictures to start you off again.
ecco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote        
yea, reference photos are definitely a good idea. to practice life drawing if you cant get to any actual lessons Smile its what i do ^^ tho not nearly often enough haha. but itll help you learn anatomy and such much better ^^

Somalina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote        
I frequently go through periods of drawing alot, and then stopping completely for a while.

And I find that it's very hard to get into again once you go back to drawing after a long time without practice, I'd reccomend looking at some tutorials or reference pictures.
Alternatively, using other artistic media - water colour, acrylic, computer, pencil - and varying things a little bit tend to help. It gets a few ideas flowing and opens up a few doors while you're feeling particularly experimental.

:3
kovu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote        
yes i strongly agree with you that it is harder to bet back into drawing but i typically keep trying to get the drawing back. its like you go from drawing all the time to stopping and then when you get back to it its like your hand went numb and you have to find the rythum again . i love to draw so i understand completly. Big Grin