Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat

Which, if either, do you like?
Bird
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Faerie
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Both!
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Neither
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Pikmin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote        
Basically, I was going to make a B/c thread, but then discovered two things:

1) There are now quite a few so it could be a tough market.
2) I can't f***ing draw.

Bearing that in mind, I decided to make this thread first to see if anyone would actually give a damn about either of the b/cs I made.

The first I made were Faeries...
Example:
- -

Pro's:
1) Small, may fit alongside some of the larger adoptables in a signature.
2) There are different forms. *see further down*
3) They're fairly basic so could be sold cheap... Nice newby b/c?
4) Because they're human-ish it would be easier to come up with a story for them.

Con's:
1) Basic. I know this was also a pro, but it can go both ways, as some people prefer more detail.

There are also lots of different forms:
Female butterfly bases:
Baby Child Adult
Male butterfly bases:
Baby Child Adult
Female lacewing bases:
Baby Child Adult
Male lacewing bases:
Baby Child Adult

The second I made were birds...
Example:
- -
(Not done tags for these yet)

Pro's:
1) Can potentially have more detail, and I can only get better at it.
2) Don't have to be real breeds, so you could have a technicolour bird of doom...
3) The chick form is f***ing cute... Well, I think it is.

Con's:
1) Bigger, may not fit next to other adoptables.
2) The older forms seem to just look like bigger chicks a bit.
3) Less forms than the faeries, and the females looks a bit odd.

Female forms:
Baby Child Adult
(I don't know why I made them bright green...)

A few notes....
I don't mind criticism, as long as it's constructive, so I can improve... I don't know anyone here that would be otherwise, but I've known so many people in the past that are like that, that I always put this anyway.
If you put "Neither" in the poll, please post and say why... However, if your reason is only "I don't like birds or faeries" then don't bother, as that's just personal taste rather than anything helpful.
I mean I wouldn't just go into Tocks thread and go "LOL I R NO LIEK CENTAURS 8D!"

Thanks for your time o\

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote        
... Neutral I'd actually be amused if someone did that.

I feel so special that my thread is like the throne for B/C shops at this point xD -sits on throne and looks down at you all- BOW DOWN MINIONS.

...Anyway.

The faeries are uber cute. I like the different wings and I think you could work more on that, even, seeing as there are probably a bazillion different kinds of wings. You could also have angel/demon wings and stuff... I dunno, I like it.

The birds seem too simple to me, and the female forms seem a bit rushed. Don't rush to try and finish every possible stage lineart after you've thought of an idea, each lineart should be treated as individual artwork, each should be given as much time and thought as any of the others.

Neither seem original or... I can't think of the word, but... complicated? enough to really have a full background story, world, plot, etc for them. I think you'd be better off simply having, like you said, a newbie B/C shop to get the hang of things, then either advance the shop or create a new one that is more capable of upholding an entire culture.

But, if you do wish to have such roleplayable things, I'd definitely go with the faeries. There isn't anything special about the bird adoptables... they're just birds. And while they're cute and all, there isn't much about them that could catch a user's eye, and tacking on loads of culture and information about them to try and create an in-depth adoptable would avert people even more.

.___.

That's my pick of the straw, anyway. I hope it was helpful. I came at it from more of an adopter view (I've been an avid virtual pet adopter for years) than a shop owner's view, so it's really more my opinions than suggestions or advice.

-waddles off- I need to learn to write shorter posts when critiquing/helping people.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote        
Well, you were the first xD And I know you better than the others so it's easier to use you as a reference :p
Not bowing though..

I never even thought of angel/devil wings but I really like the idea now ^^ My original idea was for the male butterfly and the female lacewing to be rarer (because the butterfly is more feminine/lacewing more masculine), but now I'm thinking the angel/devil ones could be rarer...

The birds weren't completely rushed, however... I can't really draw birds. I just really really like birds so I wanted to try it. If I ever did use them, I would definitely re-do them and stare at my birds more to get it right.

I agree that neither are "original" and they're both relatively simple, I guess the plan was for them to start cheaper, and then maybe, as you've said, start up a more detailed one later... Mainly to see if people are actually interested I guess, because it would be frustrating to put loads of work into something, only for no one to like it.

I agree with the role-playability, or lack thereof, of the birds, which is what worried me about them, I guess I just really.. really like birds xD But with the faeries, I actually sort-of have a story in my head for them.. Or rather, bits of it.

And don't worry about long posts o\ I appreciate people actually giving advice~

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote        
Oh right, that's the other thing I wanted to say... I like how the child stages are holding flowers, but it seems so random. It would be cool if you could somehow incorporate that into the adult stage, maybe have them sitting in flowers or have the flower in the background...

Or you could have the infant stage be a child curled up in a flowerbud or something. I dunno. I'm a fan of carrying through with ideas, but that's because I'm a writer and it seems like foreshadowing to me Duh you wouldn't foreshadow some giant war and then... not have one. Same with art, little things should be carried through to the end.

And... okay, sorry if I offended you .-. the lines of the female bird stages just looked more shaky than the male ones, that's all. It might be the weird color theme you chose for the females, though, making the lines look weird xD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote        
You haven't offended me lol, I'm hard to offend o\ And frankly I KNOW I can't draw birds that well.

As for the green on the bird, that's actually because it's a base, I must admit I kinda nicked your idea when I saw you on livecast thingy, to have a bright colour for the base so it stands out easily and can therefore see if I f*** up. It also makes it easier to make a clipping mask on PS3.

The flowers were one of the bits of story I had in my head...
First draft:

"As children, the faeries are encouraged to play with flowers daily, sometimes even to the point of pulling them out of the ground. This is, hopefully, to give them a respect for nature, as when the children realize this eventually causes the death of the flower, they will appreciate just how delicate, and precious, life itself is. When they get to adulthood, they have a love for nature and will defend it with their lives if necessary.
Though there are rare exceptions..."

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote        
Ohhh... haha, do I smell a possible plot? =0

And that's fine! I thought it may have just been a template color, but I also know how much you love green so I wouldn't put it past you to have a neon green bird xD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote        
A neon green bird would be pretty epic... *looks at pet birds, looks at green dye... Writes it off as animal abuse*

And it is possible x3 I actually enjoy writing stories, it's just getting all the random bits of ideas running around like they're on caffeine to stand still and make sense together.

EDIT: Thinking about it more though, I do like your idea of the babies being inside a flower...
Wonder how I'd incorporate it into the adult though, seeing as they wouldn't want to destroy a flower just to wear it in their hair or something... Will think about it.

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Pikmin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote        
Yes it's a double post but... Meh o\
Tried to make the faeries better, this is the only one I've done so far buuuuut...

Note: Yes the flowers are based off real flowers.. But that doesn't mean they HAVE to be the same colouring as what they're based off, ie; This is a daffodil but there's nothing to stop it being blue.

Note2: The font is starting to irk me a bit the more I look at it... Too muddled when it's smaller... I was going to write the names but my handwriting is really bad.. So will stare at it until I think of a solution.

Note3: For some reason I'm ridiculously proud of that sunflower....

Note4: Another shop is up now... Maybe I just won't bother, there's sooo many.

Note5: Can't help but feel that the clothes on Zuria spoil it... Either they need to get better, or they'd actually look better without clothes... And lo, thine shalt be called Streaker Faeries!

JOLLY COOPERATION!