Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote        
I'm trying to figure out how to perfectly blend two genres that you usually don't see together.

Y'see, I want to write a high school drama/high fantasy. Usually when this is done, the high fantasy part is written as a "hidden world" (protagonist is a normal kid who finds herself opening a door that leads her to a mystical fantasy realm separate to our own). But I would love to write a high school drama, only with elves and magic as well as boys and cliques.

The problem is that the genres are practically polar opposites and finding a middle ground is really difficult for me to do.

Has anyone else tried something like this, and if you have done it and done it well, could you give me some pointers? I'm stuck, and I would love to figure this out because it would be a really cool idea to write out.

Gladde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote        
Well, with the high school/high fantasy, they are not technically "polar opposites". I have read a few books that incorporate the two together, although they do always end up going on some sort of high fantasy adventure. I think the best example is Harry Potter. There is a lot of teenage angst in those books >.>

I think it depends on what species you want and how you want those species to interact. You could do a sort of foreign student exchange program that allows for different species to go to the same school or something around that sort of theme. You would probably have to establish a background for the student's ages and why they are going to this particular school at this particular stage in their life, but I think it can be easily done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote        
I guess I meant opposites as in I love one and can't stand the other.

To me, technically, Harry Potter has the "Hidden World" thing going for it, where the normal people don't know that the magical ones exist. The exchange program might work, though. I'll play around with that.

Gladde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote        
Ooo, haha. Well, it could always be modified "teen" drama. It could be more about competition than angst, which is plausible as well.

Yeah, that was what always confused me about Harry Potter. I never understood how exactly this whole wizarding world was able to stay hidden and yet consist of a large amount of people. I must have missed an explanation at some point in the stories.