Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic Books...books...everywhere, but which type do you read?

Do you enjoy reading books of any kind?
Yes, I feel like I'm in a new world!
62%
 62%  [ 17 ]
Yes, but I only do it if I'm really into the book
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
I don't hold enough time in my day to read, though I would like too.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I don't hold enough time in my day to read and I don't care enough to change that.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, but I do sometimes enjoy reading.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 27

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote        
I read a lot of fantasy, sci-fi, and supernatural stories. My favorite authors are Simon R. Green (Deathstalker, Nightside), R.A. Salvatore (The Drizzt Books), and Neil Gaiman (Sandman, Anansi Boys).

In the realms of children's stories, I like Jenny Nimmo's Red King series and The Pennykettle Dragons books. I forget the author though...

When it comes to comics, I ADORE James A. Owen of the Starchild series, and Wendy and Richard Pini's Elfquest. I'm writing my final English essay on Elfquest!

Tribute

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote        
Right now, I'm mostly reading urban fantasy. Noteable authors in the genre: Holly Black, Charles De Lint, and Emma Bull. >.> I think I might almost include Gaiman's Neverwhere in the genre, but they tend to be more mythology based... usually.
I am in a De Lint frenzy right now... He might end up becoming my favorite author, which makes me sad for my current favorite, which makes me exra sad because she's having problems with lung cancer.

Tianfu

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote        
When I was younger, I was a voracious reader, mostly of fantasy and scifi books. Tolkien is still a favorite of mine and I re-read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings every few years. But it got to the point where I got tired of EVERYTHING being a series. I just want to read a book and have it end at the end, not leave me hanging until I can buy the next book. Plus, I have this thing of never starting a series until I can find the first book. So I don't read much fantasy anymore.

Now, I mostly read mysteries (primarily Sherlock Holmes pastiches and Hercule Poirot) and humor books, like P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves books. Sherlock Holmes books are quite often collections of short stories, which works great when the most time you have to read in a day is your half-hour lunch break. At the moment I'm reading two Sherlock Holmes books, The Monster of St. Marleybone (which would be a great book except for the presence of a HORRIBLE Mary Sue character) and Sherlock Holmes in Russia, a collection of Russian stories written around the turn of the century.

Next on my list is Stephen Fry in America. Or maybe Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street. I haven't really decided.
applejuice81

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote        
I love to read. I read alot although not as much as i did a few years ago. but still a good bit. I love romance, mostly all i read. I have read some fantasy and couple of Anne Rice's book a few years ago. also love read about mythology.

Opinions Please - My story idea with character issues.
Aquaria

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote        

I love to read and I do it as often as I can.
I personally prefer fantasy/supernatural books or books that involve animals like the Guardians of Ga'Hoole or Warriors.
There are some books about historical things or mythology that I enjoy as well.
I also love reading any sort of manga. Happy
When it comes to manga I can read just about any genre but with books I'm picky. Fantasy/supernatural, animal based, or no books for me. Smile

elliryanna55

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote        
I LOVE LOVE LOVE fantasy books especially ones about far off worlds I dont like nonfiction books very much though Lips are Zipped
Six Bells Chime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote        
I am addicted to books, quite frankly. I will read most anything I can get my hands on but I am most drawn towards a good horror, I think. Happy I am always buying more books even if I don't have time to read them all.
Seren Meinir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote        
I love to read fantasy, horror, and maybe a romance novel thrown in occasionally. (I love fantasy way more than all of them though.) I just love to read about worlds, magic, aliens and the like! ^_^
Janirianna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote        
The only types of books that I like reading are the ones that actually have a meaningful and exciting story behind it. The books that don't have something like that are usually very boring in my eyes.
FlyingHatTrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote        
I typically read sci-fi, fantasy, realistic, manga, and a healthy dose of webcomics and visual novel-type games. Romance doesn't appeal to me. (Mostly because there's that... big giant shelf in the bookstore that is chock-full of only romance novels.)

I need to find more steampunk books though... *sighs* And a book a day keeps the weird boys away~
Poofle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote        
STEAMPUNK?! :O I WANT TO READ STEAMPUNK. I NEVER KNEW THERE WERE STEAMPUNK BOOKS OwO

Uhh, I usually read adventure books though they're actually for younger kids D: like Percy Jackson! 8DDD I read a whole lot actually, and some of my other favourites which I read often are realistic fiction like Jodi Picoult and autobiographical fiction of a sort like Adeline Yen Mah's Falling Leaves, and mystery books like Agatha Christie (OH POIROT I WORSHIP YOU SO <3) I'm also into classics like Shakespeare (AS YOU LIKE IT!!!) and George Orwell (ANIMAL FARM AND 1984 <333) and random things like fairytales :3 especially more epic, unknown ones like Jack the Giant-Killer. I also love Horrible Science, Horrible Histories, Dead Famous and whatever lovely info books for kids Scholastic comes up with. MURDEROUS MATHS TOO YAY <3 I may be a little 'too old' for them now, but frankly I don't care. They teach me new things too :3
FlyingHatTrick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote        
Poofle wrote:
STEAMPUNK?! :O I WANT TO READ STEAMPUNK. I NEVER KNEW THERE WERE STEAMPUNK BOOKS OwO

o_o' I believe Scott Westerfield's Leviathan rings a bit of steampunk. Iunno. And... er... Hungry City chronicles? I guess you could check these books out...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote        
I love to read but the book has to be really interesting! i read books about vampire, comedy, or something with drama! Laugh