Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Music & Lyrics
Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote        
One day I was listening to Green Day because my friend told me to. And I wasn't fond of it, I admit. But I did like ONE song on the mix that they gave me, and that was Working Class Hero. It was just so beautiful and unlike anything else on that mix.

Then I found out why I liked it so much.

It was a cover of a John Lennon song.

And that wasn't the first time that happened. It's common that I like a cover of another group's material more than a band's original stuff. It happened twice again with Lacuna Coil's cover of Dubstar's "Stars" and Ke$sha's cover of SNSD's "Run Devil Run".

So what are your thoughts on covers? Do you love 'em or hate 'em?

mdom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote        
I like some of them... some not that much.
For an example, punk goes pop is fun to hear, especially Britney's Toxic.
And Muse's cover of Nina Simone's Feeling good is also very well done.
It's good when people give their own touch to the song.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote        
i like covers if they bring something new to the song. if its just a straightforward copy, just with a different voice singing it, its dull and uninteresting.

but saying that, some things really should be left alone, as theyre good enough already. i once heard a metal cover of Frou Frou's "Let Go". part of me died.

mdom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote        
OH
Johnny Cash's covers are all good!
Like personal jesus, hurt, and even one from u2. Oh, and if you could read my mind. The songs may become more depressive, but beautiful nonetheless.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote        
He does do really good covers. I found another AMAZING cover a few days ago.

Electric Avenue- Skindred

and here is the original

Vixie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote        
i'm not a big fan of covers.. i'd much prefer to hear it played/sung by the original person/band.
tho i have to admit hellraiser by motorhead was awesome(originally an ozzy osbourne song)

click the egg
Tempest Maximum Aleta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote        
It's 50/50 with me. Like, I love Cascada's cover of What Hurts the Most by Rascal Flatts, but some, it's like *pukes* >.>

^ Meet Zahi, a character I had before I joined Midorea. XD Irony, no?
sychobunny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote        
I often like covers better. Almost any cover I've heard of Lady Gaga, I've liked better than the original. All of Apocalyptica's covers of Metalica I like better. in fact whenever I hear a newer song from MEtalica my first thought is: "I can't wait for Apocalyptica to cover this, it will sound so much better."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:36 am Reply with quote        
ooooh i heard an awesome cover the other day, actually. i hate the song "misery business" by Paramore, but i heard a metal cover of that one and it was AWESOME. much improved... Happy

Nova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote        
I recently found out that one of my favourite songs when I was a tween/early teen actually was a cover!
I have burnt that song to various CD's and had it on all my mp3-players, but then I found it it was a cover!

The song's name is "The Game of Love" and the cover, which everyone thinks is the original, is performed by Santana and Michelle Branch.

What most people DON'T know is that the guy who is responsible for most of the songs I liked as a tween, (and still do) actually made it. His name is Gregg Alexander.

Original is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bJrHl4TeN0
Santana's version is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UIojGDIBvI

The original was never released, it was just a demo. I realize he doesn't quite hit /all/ the keys, but he sings it with such passion and honesty that I can't help but prefer that version