Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Post new topic   Reply to topic OMG FACEBOOK ROMANCE DARK TWILIGHT BIGWORD LOL. (Marketing)
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote        
Disclaimer: This post is harsh. My main beef with this situation isn't that Twilight fans are reading Wuthering Heights; it's that classics are being fed to an uneducated audience. I don't like it when complex things go in one ear and out the other (one eye and out the other?) just because the listener (reader?) is too shallow to understand them. Does that mean that they shouldn't strive to understand it? Oh, absolutely not. That would be the best-case scenario. I'd be happy with this marketing technique if that were the case.

Oh, and the fact that they're trying to say that Mary Sues/Gary Stus and cliche horse shit make great literature... kinda pisses me off. Just sayin'.

FFFFFFFF RAAAAGE. I'm required to read Wuthering Heights for a summer assignment. It took forever to finally track down a copy, but when I did, I couldn't bring myself to be excited. The woman that worked in the bookstore said that they had one copy left. It was hidden in the young adults (meaning stupid teenage girls) section and was remade with a Twilight-esque cover to appeal to the idiots sweet little girls.

Damn, it worked like a charm. There was only one copy left. Let's quote the synopsis, shall we?

Quote:
I cannot live without my life!
I cannot live without my soul!

When Catherine and Heathcliff's childhood friendship grows into something so much more, what ensues is one of the greatest love stories of all time. Even as fate conspires against them and passion consumes them, nothing can keep Catherine and Heathcliff apart. Not even death... for their forbidden love is unlike any other.
Emily Bronte's masterpiece remains as compelling and thrilling as ever. Beautifully presented for a modern teen audience, this is a must-have edition of a timeless classic.

Ugh. Let's move on to some super informative extras!

Quote:
Extras
Wuthering Heights

QUIZ: Are You Destined for Tumultuous Love, Like Catherine and Heathcliff?
Ingredients for a Gothic Romance
10 Things You Didn't Know about Emily Bronte
What If Catherine and Heathcliff Lived Now and Were on Facebook?

I feel like an idiot for just reading this. LET'S MOVE ON.

So there's this shitty quiz about HOW AMAZINGLY PERFECT your boyfriend would be, if you actually had one. Most people reading this edition are pre-teen girls that just want to fap to vampires. Who would wanna date that? And yes, one of the questions actually directly references Twilight, regarding the main leads to be one of the most perfect couples EVAR.

Oh, it gets so much better. They're "guiding" teens into writing great gothic romance! I can't effectively express my rage without direct quotes.

Quote:
[...] Dont forget that the sun rarely shines in a gothic setting.

Does your heroine fall in love with someone that she just shouldn't end up with? Does the leading man have mysterious worries etched deep in his beautiful face? Don't forget to make your leading man complex(wtf, Edward Cullen); he should do things that are hard to understand!

A willful, irresistible heroine. Does every man around fall in love with your leading lady? Does she behave strangely and just generally do whatever she wants, disregarding propriety (or common sense)? Remember that she should probably be beautiful but unusual!

[...] Popular gothic works today, such as Stephanie Meyer's Twilight [...] are very much informed by great works of the past

[...]Finally, don't forget to pepper your story with other fun elements that are commonly associated with gothic novels and gothic romance, such as [...] emotion trumping over logic.

It... it burns. T_T The stuff about Emily Bronte is basically just random information. Really nothing noteworthy there, except that it's obvious that they're going for emotional appeal. Her mom died! She taught her sisters by herself! etc. But let's move on to the grand finale. (Oh, it's grand...)

Quote:
What If Catherine and Heathcliff Lived Now and Were on Facebook?

Name: Catherine Linton
Sex: Female
Hometown: Yorkshire
Relationship status: Married to Edgar Linton
Interested in: Men
Looking for: Friendship

About me:
Here's a quiz that Isabella told me to fill out! (OMG SHE LYK TTLY REFRANCD TWILIGHT DIDNT SHE!!!!111!! LOL THATS AWSUM I LUV TWILIGHT DONT U?)

[...]

Name: Heathcliff
Sex: Male
Hometown: Yorkshire
Relationship status: It's Complicated
Interested in: Women
Looking for: A Relationship

There's a quiz thing too. Nothing really noteworthy. (Don't get me wrong - I continuously raged as I read it - but I'm too lazy to type it out.)

The purpose of this thread? Put yourself in Bronte's shoes. If you published a book someday, would you want it to be "remastered" into something like this? A cheap knockoff riding on the coattails of Twilight? You're dead - you can't do anything about it. This woman used a male pen name just to get this book out there so that people would take it seriously, and now it's being fed to a bunch of stupid pre-teens that could never begin to understand the complexities of her motifs and symbols. They just picked it up because of the pretty cover and the OMG FACEBOOK ROMANCE DARK TWILIGHT BIGWORD LOL.

If this book is nearly as good as people claim it is, I don't think that this watered down bullshit does it any justice. People say that it's great as long as kids pick up the classics, but what's the point of picking them up when you can't even properly analyze them? This topic is admittedly a little scattered, but this situation just brings so much to mind! I'm not discussing the actual book (unless you want to warn me that it's censored or something - I'd appreciate that) but rather the entire ordeal. I just... hardly know where to begin. Next subject!

They're offering advice on how to write supposedly great literature... by telling them explicitly to make your main lovers as Sue as possible, by saying SCREW LOGIC, YOU HAVE YOUR HEART and by implying that the more cliche and inside-the-box, the better.

This incites so much rage in me... I can barely express it. (Coherently, anyway. Does any of this shit make sense? DX) I raged so much while reading the extras (I knew not to! I told myself that it was a bad idea...) that my throat still hurts. My mom came rushing in thinking that my brother finally made me snap. Everyone is afraid to ask what's wrong. XD

Question: My assignment is to critique and analyze the book. I wonder if I'd get extra credit for raging critiquing these marketing techniques? Maybe a few shits and giggles? I'd settle for a few shits and giggles.

By the way, I've had five cups of water and my throat still hurts.

ecco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote        
dear god Chu, it sounds like you rage as bad as I do.

anyway!

does anyone else get the feeling, that whoever wrote these horrid extras was forced into doing so by his/her boss? and so grudgingly, they wrote it all but have entirely taken the piss from beginning to end? cos the whole thing sounds like a lot of sarcasm to me. o.o it wouldnt surprise me.

this reminds me an awful lot of the way they tried to market Shakespeare to teens when i was in secondary school. theyd have posters with quotes from shakespeare on it, then a "modern" translation: SHE IZ WELL FIT.

FML, i thought, and now i want to read Shakespeare even less if theyre going to patronise me from beginning to end. -___-;

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote        
Oh my... and I thought it was bad to see Twilight go into "shitty graphic novel-land". This is an outrage! I didn't know about this! Well, then again I'm not fond of the romance genre very much, so this would be the kind of thing that would elude me.

Now... the moment they start taking shitty literature and imposing it on The Scarlet Pimpernel (my favorite piece of classic literature), I'll be worried. But because the Scarlet Pimpernel is so kick-ass and amazing, that hopefully won't happen. Whatever they pair with it had BETTER be kick-ass and amazing as well.

But about the Shakespeare thing, that is actually kinda funny! I chuckle at the fact that teenagers have a hard time understanding Shakespeare. It's NOT THAT DIFFICULT! My freshman brother understood it without my help, and I devoted every day a semester to the Bard! I need to get back to reading his stuff, though.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote        
@ecco: That's not even the brunt of it. -_- Poor Raz.

It sounded very sarcastic to me too. o-0 I know that my quotes probably emphasized it, but the tone remains the same throughout all of the extras. I was actually thinking that I'd probably find something like that on the internet.

Oh, they got Romeo and Juliet too. And Pride and Prejudice. I'm not sure if they have extras though.

By the way, on some copies of this book, it says, "Bella and Edward's favorite book!"

@Kelaleigh: I used to be really into romance, but I fell out of it when I started reading provocative things like 100 Years of Solitude and 2001: A space Odyssey. Like I said, I only picked this up because of my assignment. Otherwise I wouldn't have even glanced twice at it.

Oh, Shakespeare really isn't difficult at all. :/ I don't understand why people complain so much about it. I guess it's because they don't bother to try?

KoyiTar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote        
Read an Anne Rice novel to get your mind off of it. I suggest Interview With a Vampire. Sorry I don't by into fads especially tweeny bopper fads that have stuck around as long as this crap. Twilight is a poor joke and the fact that good novels are trying to gain attention by going down the same path sickens me.

ecco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote        
i just found it funny how suddenly all the teenies shut up about High School Musical once Twilight came along.

fine by me, Zac Efron actually has talent, now the insane little fangirls have someone else to focus on he can get a real career... i hope anyway >.>

KoyiTar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote        
Hes been in a couple of really good movies since High school Musical at least I thought they were good.

ecco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote        
yea, i absolutely love him in 17 Again Smile tho i havent really seen him in anything else, but that one showed he actually has talent..

i feel like this is going too far off topic lol XD

Maeve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote        
Take a few deep breaths, Chu ^^

Guh, I hate when that happens. Just like I hate when they take new books and write something like "The best thing since insert-great-author-name!" on it, just to sell more copies.
I mean, I'm totally into getting kids to read more advance books, even if they don't necessarily have all the knowledge and maturity to understand every single word of it. I just hate stupid marketing and things that get a wrong impression to people... <.<*

As a kid, I remember taking home a few books from the library that were probably too advanced for me at the time, but I still like them, even if it was more for the cute characters/ interesting story than for the symbols and great plot development. And when I grew up I re-read some of them, and I was (and still am) amazed by some of the things I've missed and that make the book even better.

However, most of the people I know who have ever picked a book because it said somewhere that it was "similar to a popular book" were just demoralized when they realized it wasn't really the case, and most often they just stop reading it and never return to it, thinking it's lame and not worth reading. Kinda the opposite of what you,d want to do with old classics...

The few quotes you put really sound sarcastic, which would be somewhat funny, but I'm afraid the targeted audience won't even realize it Neutral

And now I need to go to the library and get a few good books... Hai

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote        
Well, the Scarlet Pimpernel has a mild romantic element, but it's mostly action and intrigue.

What I love is when a book series calls itself "the next Harry Potter". Twilight was one of these. The only one that comes close to being the next HP, though, is the Percy Jackson series. And Riordan's new work, the Kane saga.

KoyiTar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote        
I so very agree I loved those books so much. The movie though sucked in comparsen.

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote        
Oh GAWD, are you correct! I was very sad to not see Clarisse in the movie!

What I said to people who asked me how it was started with "Did you read the books?"

If they said no, I told them they'd love it. To somebody unfamiliar with the series, it was a great movie!

If they said yes, I'd tell them that they would be sorely dissapointed.

KoyiTar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote        
Its like the made Annabeth or bell I forget what her name is now out to be Clarisse. I was like thats not how she acted at all towards Percy where Clarisse shes the mean crazy person that almost killed him during capture the flag and Anna was on the same team as percy and luke not on the opisite.

Who wrote this movie was Riordan even in on it and Persephone was not in the underworld at that time. Also Grover though he did have his moments of oh look a hot chick it wasn't to the extent they had it in the movie.

Kattie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote        
Didn't Bella say she liked such books as Wuthering Heights? Maybe that's why it was hard for you to get a copy, because the Twilight-loving girlies wanted to be like Bella even more or something. But, man, adding all those extras...isn't it enough if stuff like that is printed in magazines for pre-adolescent Hot Topic goth kids?

Please, draw me a Nomadic Glowing Rasta Fungus?

<- Pure epic win and awesome! Happy
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote        
Bella likes, what was it? Wuthering Heights and Romeo and Juliet? XD OMG I READ THOSE TOO!!!!

But yes, she did, Kattie.